Saturday, July 12, 2008

Of Sound Mind?

Today we drove up to the lake house. It was a three and a half hour car trip which could have been a disaster, but I got smart this year and borrowed a DVD player from my dad. The kids watched a couple of movies and it was really fine. Plus, E bought me a present… a portable potty. Knowing that I was traveling with plumbing made me feel like there was nothing I could not do.

Stephen did not accompany us on this trip, but Christy, the babysitter, did.

The entire way up, the excitement of being back on the lake was almost too much for me to bear. I spent 7 years at a beautiful camp on a gorgeous lake in New Hampshire and since then I have always considered myself a lake person as opposed to a pool person. Or an ocean person, or a strait person or a sound person. "Strait" and "sound" being bodies of water, that is.

Anyway, the kids and I were cheering when we approached the lake house and I was amazed at their total recollection of the house. They were psyched and we all wanted to jump in the lake.

The house was a little less glamorous than I had recalled, but who cares? We were here for the lake!!!! I announced to the kids to “get in swim suits and meet in the living room in two minutes to go swimming!!!!”

We walked out of the house and down the steps to the lake. When I say this is a lake house, I mean it. This is a lake house… built in to the shores of Lake Paradox. Beyond beautiful. I was in heaven.

The kids, Christy and I spent about 10 minutes in the lake before Adam announced that he wanted to play pool in the lake house’s game room. I said that was fine, and asked Christy to watch the kids as I went out for an hours swim. I have been swimming every day at home for an hour, and every day I think to myself, “If only this were a lake.”

Finally my wish was coming true. I started out on my swim and I took several deep breaths thinking to myself “Ahhhh, heaven.” This is what I have been waiting for. As I swam I thought to myself, “This is perfection. There are no motor boats, not many houses on the lake, total serenity.”

A few more strokes in and I thought to myself, “Geez, I could die out here an no one would know it.”

And then I thought, “If I were really to ever kill my husband this is where I would dump the body, no one would ever know."

And then I thought, “Holy shit!! What if someone DID die out here and their body floats to the surface as I am swimming and I bump in to it??!?!?!?!”

So I hauled ass back to the house and I am too spooked to go back in to the lake again!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment